At the corner of N. 6th and Reily streets in Harrisburg, the aptly named Café 1500 American Bistro serves as both the foundation for the towering 1500 Condominium building and an anchor point of the flourishing Midtown dining and nightlife scene.
With unique and impressive new-age American cuisine, a noteworthy assortment of cleverly crafted cocktails and free parking (without a doubt one of Midtown’s secrets to success), Café 1500 offers a big-city atmosphere complemented by an undeniable culinary sophistication.
Led by General Manager Amanda Poindexter and Executive Chef Ben Beaver, Café 1500 has certainly made a name for itself in the capital city.
“Great cities, deserve great food,” states Poindexter. “When you come to Café 1500, it’s going to be a unique dining experience. We are going to give you the big-city feel at local pricing. …We offer a nice, locally sourced, menu variety with our own spin that is approachable to everybody. We want guests to come in to eat every single week.”
At Café 1500, each new solstice and equinox brings with it a revamped menu. “We do a seasonal food and cocktail menu to keep things fresh, but we do keep items that are staples, like the Mom’s Meat Loaf,” explains Poindexter.
Whether it be brunch, lunch, dinner or drinks, Café 1500 delivers on the delicious all within a chic vibe.
Top 3 Must-Sample Small Plates & Starters
1. Pan-Seared Sea Scallops with cornbread pancake, sautéed succotash, winter-squash purée and bourbon-maple reduction.
2. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with rendered bacon, caramelized shallots and cornbread crumble.
3. Cornmeal-Dusted Calamari with sweet chili sauce, sesame dust and oil and Sirracha.
Top 3 Must-Try Artisan Pizzas
1. Chorizo & Pear with ricotta, parmesan and spinach.
2. Apple-Butter BBQ Chicken with mozzarella, bleu cheese, pickled red onion and cilantro.
3. Roasted Garlic & Spinach with mozzarella, parmesan and fresh Roma tomato.
Top 3 Must-Order Entrées
1. Scallops with Saffron Risotto with chorizo, red onion-jalapeño marmalade and chili oil.
2. Miso-Glazed Halibut with shiitake dashi, soba noodles, sesame oil and scallions.
3. Mom’s Meat Loaf, tomato-glazed with roasted garlic Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, demi-glace and seasonal vegetables.
Top 3 Happy-Hour Must-Haves
1. The Gin Basil Smash: Plymouth Gin, muddled basil, lime and simple syrup.
2. Ginger Fizz: Ginger-infused Absolut, rosemary, ginger-lime simple syrup and candied ginger.
3. Kentucky Smash: Woodford Reserve, muddled mint and lemon.
Café 1500 (1500 N. 6th Street, Harrisburg) is open for lunch Tuesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., brunch Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner Tuesday through Saturday 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Be sure to check out Café 1500’s rotating local art exhibits, live music and special events. For more information, call (717) 831-8322 or visit cafe-1500.com.